Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.07.38.png
 
 
Chairmans News : 7th May 2024

Chairmans News : 7th May 2024

8 May 2024

The 2024 cricket season staggered into life on April 27th following heroic efforts by Groundstaff throughout the North East. I read somewhere that it has been the warmest March since records begin which sounds baloney to me. Freezing and depressingly wet it seems to me which has since been compounded by some further torrential rain.

Nevertheless I am able to report some excellent news in that the Second Team won the James Bell Cup by 9 wickets on Bank Holiday Monday. This final had been rained off last September following a biblical storm on Great North Run Sunday. A young side with a number of spinners prevailed against a strong Whitburn side to bring some silverware back to NBMS Denton Bank.

 

The First Team also advanced in the National Cup by virtue of a coin toss – the next round is at home this Sunday. Another 8 wins and we will have a day out at Lords.

 

It was a pleasure to meet new professional Yash Kothari on Friday – despite never having been to the U.K. Yash certainly speaks better English than either the Chairman or the President. I am confident that Yash will be a huge asset to the Club both on and off the field – please do not hesitate to say hello if you see him around the place.

 

The new changing room and toilets/showers have gone down well – Phil Haves has driven this project with the committed help of one of our main sponsors N.B.M.S. There is a virtual tour available here if you want to see the fruits of our labours.

 

The Board has been discussing how to make the best use of the former tennis courts at the foot of the Ground. Our long term plan is to grass over 80% of the land for cricket practise and to retain the other 20% as hard standing to store the Covers. This will not be a cheap initiative and we are looking at possible sources of grant aid.

 

The other major goal we have identified is to replace the furniture in the bar which like me is starting to look its age with the odd bit falling off. Again this will require serious investment but we are ever mindful that a successful Bar is vital if we are to continue to thrive as a Club.

 

Please contact me or one of my colleagues on the Board of BHCC if you ever wish to discuss the future direction of the Club. We do not have a monopoly on good ideas and we will only continue to move forward by acting as a collective. For clarity those colleagues are Hugh Dyson (Vice Chair), Larry Dawson & Bill Smalley (Hon Treasurers), Phil Haves (House and Bar/Cricket), Keith Shaw (Hon Secretary).

 

I will close there by wishing you all a long sunny season with lots of good cricket on the field and lots of fun in the Bar. I gather the 80`s Event on Sunday was a cracking do and a good start – long may it continue!

 

Simon Lunn

Chairman

 

Mobile : 07791 683827

Email : simon.lunn@live.co.uk

News

Fantasy Cricket Update - Week 2 League Table

28th May 2024

Weekend Review - 25-26 May : 2nd's continue unbeaten start to the season but 1st's lose again

28th May 2024

Weekend Review - 17-19 May : Great wins for 2s and 3s but 1s suffer two heavy defeats at Burnmoor

21st May 2024

Seats available on bus travelling to Wakefield Thornes for Sunday's ECB National Club Championship game

21st May 2024

View all news »

We are proudly sponsored by...